I am an artist with little resources and a proposal that desperately needs your help. I have an idea for an object that could very well stop firearms from being used by unstable or unauthorized people because we can't make everyone mentally healthy and we can't be on the lookout all the time.
The design: a steel or heavy, nearly unbreakable plastic fingerprint-reading lock that can be placed over the safety switch of guns and rifles. The logic: If a firearm’s safety cannot be turned off, the firearm cannot be used. The inspiration came from my laptop that has a fingerprint reader that takes approximately one second to scan and “unlock” itself.
Because no one besides the registered firearm user’s fingerprint can unlock the safety, the positives are:
· The firearm is safe from use by the mentally unstable
· The firearm is safe from use by children and other family members
· The family is safe from the gun being found and used against them during a break-in
· The registered user is safe from accidental firing during transport, storage or rest
· Recreational firearm activities will not be limited because the authorized fingerprint has to be used to unlock the mechanism. (Additional benefit is that use of the firearm will then be restricted to approved users in approved settings.)
· The safety feature discourages thieves. If they can’t use it, stealing it is pointless.
· The safety feature will not hinder emergency uses because it takes one second to swipe the fingerprint
· The feature will allow police and military the peace of mind when they are off duty
Other ideas for the fingerprint safety lock include:
· fingerprint locks should be placed on gun cases, gun cabinets or any other firearm storage container so collectors and enthusiasts can still collect
· fingerprint recognition should be for the registered gun owner and qualified additional users. All additional users of that particular firearm should go through the same registration procedures as the gun purchaser
More positives include that the invention will not affect our Second Amendment rights, rather, the safety feature will emphasize our willingness to be responsible firearm owners. We, as a nation, have to take whatever action necessary to keep our guns out of the hands of those that intend to do us harm. Combination locks can be easily figured out and keys can be stolen. A fingerprint is the only thing we have distinctly our own.
This idea has a few drawbacks: This safety invention will not save the lives of those registered gun owners who snap at the expense of our innocent public. It will not work if people forget to lock the guns back up. It will also not stop someone willing to kill the gun owner to acquire the fingerprint; However, hopefully dismembering another person will discourage mass killers. This safety invention will cost responsible gun owners, but I believe we can keep the cost down if we can find distributors willing to make this object for the security of our children’s lives rather than the security of their bottom line. For the price of a good helmet or optional car safety features, we should welcome this new addition. The price of doing nothing is too high.
What I am asking from you:
- a list of inventors who can turn this idea into a solid object
- a list of potential contributors to this project
- a list of potential supporters
My dream for this proposal is to have this instrument made and in place on mass killing weapons, even perhaps all legally acquired handguns within a reasonable amount of time. If we can implement helmet laws and seatbelt laws to protect the public, we can apply this device to solve OUR public safety firearm issue. I am a parent who will not take no for an answer and neither should you.
With sincerest hopes of hearing from you,
YOU CAN PUT YOUR NAME HERE
The Hill Family
Stephen, Linda and Devyn Hill
1096 Ellie Lane
Camano Island, WA